Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:04:37 -0800
On 18 Sep 98 at 17:17, Tony De Silva wrote:

> I have recently installed Windows NT 4.0 and would like the assistance of
> the List.
>
> I would like to know why when using the floppy drives; the last file viewed
> or copy etc. will remain in memory.

  NT tries to save time in several different ways.  One is a cache of
recently-read files, so they can be read agaian without going to the
disk.  Another is "lazy writing", where disk data is held in memory
as long as possible in case there are susequent revisions.  [If an NT
server has been up for a long time, the "Please wait while unsaved
data is written to disk" box that appears when you shut it down may
last for several minutes....]

> Also what is meant by " Run in separate memory space?"  This is the
> notation under the drive windows when you attempt to use the run
> command.

  The "WOW" (Win16 on WinNT) subsystem normally runs as a single
Win32 process, which speeds handling of some Win16 inter-application
communication methods, but also means that a crash of one 16-bit
program can affect them all.  If your "Run" selection invokes 16-bit
code, checking this box runs it in a separate process from others,
slowing/preventing some inter-application communication, but
enhancing system robustness and stability.

> How do you remove NT from your system? I have tried and can not
> employ FDISK or any of the commands I have come to know.  I wanted
> to have Win 95 and NT on the system.

  Using the SYS command (from DOS or Win 9x) seems to have done it
for me.  You could also run FDISK from a DOS boot floppy....

David G

                                  -----
        **Need help with PCSOFT mailing list? Send an Email to:**