Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2001 04:13:47 -0700
> Is there a reason someone would want to go directly to c: and if
> so, how could the user get into the computer again (if crashed) if
> a: isn't first?

1.  Why would anyone want to go directly to C:?
  Two reasons:
    a.  Checking for a bootable floppy and/or CD takes time and may
make noise.
    b.  The only time I've been badly infected by a virus, it was on
a driver disk that I had left in A: with the boot order set to check
A: first.

2.  How could the user get into the computer again if it crashed, if
A: isn't first?
  Well, first off, the fact that it crashed doesn't necessarily mean
that it can't be rebooted from the hard drive.
  However, if it can't, you can still generally get into the CMOS
setup, change the boot order, and reboot.

Dave Gillett

On 7 Oct 2001, at 21:57, Brenda Dencer wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to the list am already learning a lot.
>
> At a PC Maintenance and Repair class, the instructor discussed
> this topic and showed the class how-to. A remark he made explained
> the boot order.  In case of a crash, the computer has to boot from
> the a: drive in order to let you correct the problem.  A student
> brought up that almost always--now--software comes on cd roms.  He
> showed everyone how to change the boot order to a:/cd rom/ c:.
>
> Is there a reason someone would want to go directly to c: and if
> so, how could the user get into the computer again (if crashed) if
> a: isn't first?
>
> Thanks,  Brenda

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml