Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 10:44:47 -0700
On 27 Apr 99, at 12:55, MASOOD wrote:

> The CIH  virus *also* overwrites about the first 2000 blocks of
> hard disk, including the partition table, FAT and root directory.
>
>  This is what has happened to my computer.. I have used FDISK to recreate my
> old partitions of exactly the same size as before.

  I'm not positive that this was wise.  If you're lucky, it hasn't done any harm.

> Now I have 2 options:
> 1.    Use a disk editor like Norton Disk Editor to try and manually mark the
> partitions as FAT16B

  Note that the partition table is only part of what was destroyed.  Manual
repair is probably not a realistic option.
  There is a utility called "Tiramisu" which I have heard good reports of, which
*may* be able to help.  Its odds of working are probably better the LESS you try
to manually fix things up first.
  There are commercial services which may be able to do an even better job -- for
a fee.  How much is the lost information worth to you?

> 2.    Format the dirive and then Unformat it??

  If this has any more net effect than marking the partition type as above, it
will decrease the odds that any data will be recoverable.  I would only run
format if you're resigned to the loss of your data.

David G

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html