Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
A&C Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 18:39:24 -0800
From: "M and L Hand"
Subject: [PCSOFT] new member with a question about sites popping up in favorites

> Dear List,
>
> I asked The Computer Lady this, and she suggested I bring the question
> to you.  In the last week, I've noticed things showing up in my
> "favorites" bookmarks that I have not put there.  I am not pleased
> with what they are (sites that should be blocked!), but I'm hesitant
> to interrogate my teenage son as to his knowledge of them.  I've
> checked the blocking
> software's history file, and they don't seem to have been accessed
> until I tried the links to see what they were.  Is there some way for
> these places to insert their links on my computer without me knowing
> about it?  Did I pick up a virus somewhere that is doing this?  Or
> should I confront my son?  I really don't think he'd be so stupid as
> to find these places, then not hide them in a better spot!  They
> weren't even in a folder in the favorites file - just out in the open.
>
> I'd also be interested in knowing how to prevent this in the future,
> if it is something that is happening without human help.
> Hoping you have some sort of reply I'll be comfortable dealing with -
>
> Laurie Hand
----------------
Laurie,

If your son is visiting them, he is probably unaware the shortcuts in question were even created - teens do
tend to try and hide their (bad) bookmarks.
I would hate to place blame, but I would at least ask your son about his surfing habits - the sites you are
implying are extremely aggressive and have found ways to put shortcuts just about everywhere, but it's pretty
difficult for them to single out your PC without it having actually visited the site(s). They can also change
your preferred homepage so that their site becomes your homepage without even asking you first.
As for prevention, avoidance of the sites is the best prevention, but keeping teens from their curiosity is
like telling a fish not to swim. The 'security' options in Internet Explorer can be manipulated to filter some
sites, but I've never found that to be much help. If you are not running Zone Alarm, I would suggest you
download and install it ASAP - you really don't want their computers (porn sites) knowing your pc exists. You
can safely delete any shortcut(s) to the sites in question, and I would also look in your 'add/remove'
programs list to ensure nothing devious has been installed. A complete virus scan is also in order - (if you
don't purchase something, they CAN and DO find ways to infect your PC). Finally, I would do a search of your
drives for all files and folders with any name that suggests porn - (you'll have to use your imagination
here!). In all fairness to your son, he may or may not be visiting those sites intentionally - some sites, but
specifically "Warez" (illegal software) sites, have become integrated with smut sites, and just visiting them
can produce the problems you're having. Sorry I can't offer much help, but with a teenaged son of my own, I
speak from experience. I had to finally install 3rd party software to keep him off the computer completely
when we (wife & I) were not home to supervise. Hopefully the other list members can offer some other
suggestions.

Alan Thompson

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml