Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 16:53:34 -0700
On 18 Jul 2001, at 18:57, Norman Ushijima wrote:

> Can someone please explain what a runtime error is?  I've been
> getting this message every so often the last couple of weeks.
> It's titled "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library".  The text
> states "runtime error.  program C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE.  abnorman
> program termination".  After clicking OK, I'm returned to my
> desktop without icons and system tray.  I have to ctrl/alt/delete
> to reboot.
>
>    I'm using win98SE, IE5.5, and recently upgraded to 128mb ram
> and installed a burner.  Is this serious or something I can live
> with (which is what I think it is)?  Or do I get the blame again
> for doing strange things to my PC and not knowing what it was?
>
>    Thank you for any explanation you can give me.
>
>    Norman Ushijima

  The usual way that application programs are constructed involves a
programmer creating/editting a text "source code" file, which is then
processed by a "compiler" program (actually, a set of programs, but
the details aren't germane here) to produce a binary "executable"
file (.EXE).  Later -- usually mnay times -- the OS is told to "load"
the executable and allow it the CPU to run it.
  Errors may be detected at various points in the process; the common
major divisions are into "compile-time errors" which are detected by
the compiler, or prevent the compiler grom generating an executable
file, and "run-time errors" which cannot be detected until the CPU
attempts to executed the binary file.
  Obviously, programmers *must* find and fix all compile-time errors
in order to have a binary file to ship to customers.  Unfortunately,
not all run-time errors are caught by the programmers, or by the
testers employed by the software manufacturers.  It may be that a
given run-time error condition results from some particular odd
configuration (or misconfiguration, or corrupted/missing file, or
particular driver version...) on a given customer's system.
  That's where you come in.

  Now the "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" is a chunk of
precompiled code, supplied by the group that makes the "Visual C++"
compiler (group of programs, see above...).  It's supplied in several
versions, and when a programmer compiles a program using Visual C++,
the appropriate version of the Runtime Library gets included in the
executable binary.  It needs to be there because the compiler will
turn some of the programmer's code into calls to canned routines in
the library.  This includes code to start up the program, and to shut
it down when it's finished.
  It shouldn't really surprise anyone that Micrtosoft's OS Desktop
program, Explorer [which, amongst other things, displays the desktop
icons and the system tray...], is compiled using their Visual C++
compiler tool.

  So...  "Something" is causing Windows Explorer on your machine to
"crash" -- to halt unexpectedly.  Somehow, the CPU is getting to code
supplied by the compiler that says "this program is shutting down,
but it shouldn't be; something is wrong somewhere".
  If you had the "Dr. WAtson" tool running, it might capture more
information about the problem -- information that would be really
helpful if you also had the code to Windows Explorer (which you
don't).

  Interestingly, most recent versions of Windows Explorer
automatically get restarted if they crash, and that's not happening
for you.  I don't usually advise reinstalling Windows without
understanding exactly what's going wrong, but unless you can pin down
what change introduced this problem, that may be your only option.

David Gillett