Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Peter Ekkerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2011 22:51:32 -0400
Hi Russ,

First thing to do is to ask for more info from the ISP.

Then do a connection scan and a port scan.

Some tools:

Current Ports  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html

In the same vein

Connection Watcher   http://www.moo0.com/?top=http://www.moo0.com/software/ConnectionWatcher/

If in fact the computer is used as a bot, you may see lots of connections to unknown destinations.

Watch for connections using UDP

Close all programs that connect to the internet, like browsers ,chat programs etc.

You should only see you're your connection to the ISP.

Traffic should be quite light - IOW ,not a lot of data is being transferred.

If a legitimate program does an update check while doing your port check, it will clearly show the name of the program.

Anything else might be suspect.

The right-click menu (on a connection) will give you several options ,including disconnect or kill the process.

In addition run another AV scan before or after the port check.

Also check for root kits. Several AV programs do this, but you could still try

Rootkit Revealer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897445  but as stated ,it's somewhat surpassed

by the inclusion of rootkit scanners in most AV- or anti-malware programs.

Only as a last resort would I do a complete wipe and re-install (obviously after saving valuable personal data)

But that's up to you.

Peter E.