Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Alain Azzam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 13:52:37 -0500
We used to have a win95 peer-to-peer network working perfectly with 8 computers connected
to a rj45 10bT hub. One of the machines crashed recently because the user deleted her
windows root folder from withing a dos session ;((  Knowing that we have to install
windows 98 to be Y2K compliant soon, I rebuilt the machine with windows 98. Since then
it's been nothing but sorrow.

The important thing to know is that a lot of our softwares are running in dos.  So we have
a file server holding the databases for these software and everyone accesses them from
their machine.  The Win98 machine keeps crashing.

My questions are :

- the file server is fat16 and the win98 machine is fat32 : can that explain the problems
?
- the reason for which we didn't have this setup in windows NT is simple : the programmers
told us it wouldn't work out.  I personnaly would prefer a windows NT setup, much more
solid.  Do you recommend against it since we use 16 bit apps in dos boxes ? But then again
things started crashing on that computer only after we rebuilt it with windows 98.

- here are two other changes we made when we rebuilt the machine :
        -- patched the BIOS with the latest patch from Gigabyte's web site
        -- installed more memory in the file server
        -- installed more memory in the windows 98 machine
        -- installed office 97 (WITHOUT SR-1 and SR-2) instead of office 95

My plan is :

- get an answer from you guys regarding the FAT32/FAT16 question
- depending on your answer to Win NT see if it could be an option
- do trial and error tests with the new memory added (removing it, testing for a day,
etc.)
- install office 97 patches

If you have any other suggestions, I'd be more than happy to hear about them.

Regards,
-Alain

Alain Azzam / Tektonik Inc. - http://www.tektonik.com
1967 Raymond, Laval QC  H7S 1R3 Canada
T.: 514-995-2847  / F.: 514-668-8167 / mailto:[log in to unmask]

         PCSOFT only works if you contribute. Send your messages
              to be posted to: [log in to unmask]