Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 09:30:07 -0500
Earl Truss wrote:

> At 10:07 PM 3/12/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >Earl Truss wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes, a lot of people think $30 is too much to pay, but there must be enough
> >> who think it is
> >
> >I think that the average American consumer has been so overwhelmed
> >with advertising, that his/her brain is numb.  I still find it amazing
> >
> I'm not so sure that it is advertising that has done this to us.  I agree
> with you in that it mystifies me that people will pay to do beta testing
> rather than agree to do it for pay or for a free final version when the
> product is released.  (I remember those days too.)

I was hoping to "wake up" some of those numbed minds.

And yes, I think advertising has a LOT to do with it.  Advertisers
play on our ego.  We have been convinced that if we don't have the
newest and shiniest bauble on the market, we just aren't cool or
with it.  The software industry has actually achieved what Detroit
has been trying for years -- they have brain washed us into thinking
we need new software every year or two.

Why else do thousands of people run out and buy the newest "do-it-all",
swiss army knife of a suite program when all they do is write an
occasional letter to grandma?

--
Jim Meagher
=====