Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:36:27 +1000
Loy wrote:
>one thing that I do not like is that the
>"thumbs.db" file now becomes visible on the Desktop. >>

Thumbs would only appear on the desktop if you have stored pictures on the
Desktop.  No data (pictures or otherwise) should be stored on the
desktop.  It is not good practice.

Why?

Well, because Desktop is part of Windows.  If you ever have to reformat
your C-Drive and reinstall Windows in the event of Windows suddenly failing
for any reason, anything residing on the desktop will be gone without trace.

Unfortunately, there's always a possibility of this happening without
warning.  I therefore recommend that your desktop entries should be
shortcuts only.  That way, you won't be bothered by the pesky thumbs file.

For the same reason, the default folders "My documents", "My Pictures" etc
should not be used for storing data, unless you move them to a drive other
than C, and make sure you "save" to the new location.  Sure, you can backup
everything in those folders every day if you are so inclined.  But why
create that extra work?

As to your other difficulties with XP, I'm wondering if they are a legacy
of installing XP over the top of an older installation, or not reformatting
the hard drive first, thus it is picking up remnants off an older system
still lurking.

I've never noticed any obvious differences between XP Home and Pro.  On the
surface they are pretty identical.  There are, of course, considerable
differences in functionality, though most of the additional functions of
Pro aren't a lot of use to the average home user.

Any gross differences would come from your installation methods, or perhaps
from your initial configuration of XP.  This usually takes some time to get
to your liking, and some of its settings are not easy to find.

TweakUI is very good for that, it saves an awful lot of hunting around
trying to find those odd settings.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml