Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 03:15:15 -0800
On 12 Dec 00, at 21:17, Linda wrote:

> I receive a lot of spam that tells me, "The following message was
> sent to you as an opt-in subscriber."  I never signed up for this
> and want to be off of it.  Does anyone know how I can get my name
> off???

  "Opt-in" is *supposed* to mean "you asked for this".
Unfortunately, what it usually means in practice is "we got your
address from somewhere".  It's one of the many ways that spammers lie
to try get you to not complain about them.  [The consensus amongst
spam-fighters I've talked with is that reputable list-mailers do
"double opt-in" -- that is, when given email address "x" to add to
their list, they send a note to "x" to confirm this, and only
actually add "x" to the list if they get a confirming response.  This
gives them something they can show their ISP that says "Yes, x really
did ask for this."  Anything less than that, and its just their word
against yours.]
  I use www.spamcop.net to report spammers to their ISPs -- the ones
they use to send email, the ones whose email servers they use as
relays to try to hide their tracks, and the ones who host their
websites.

  [I got a spam today that said I had personally requested
information.  It was addressed to "Dear@domain, cable@domain,
subscriber@domain" -- clearly not a personal response at all!]

David G