Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bob Chapel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:51:58 -0500
Hello,

Apparently today is my day for  questions.  Forgive me if I have forgotten
but I can't recall if this list is only for Microsoft  questions or any OS.
I'm sure the proctors will bounce it if I'm wrong .

I am newly hired to administer a network that is running a UNIX server (IBM
RS-6000 RISC 50mhz processor and dual SCSI's) I have no familiarity with
this platform (I'm a PC guy who knows only Microsoft and I am working WAY
overtime to get an education in the arcane world of AIX UNIX)....I have a
number of computer phobic users who are accessing the system using dumb
terminals and I would like to give them inexpensive PC's (We are a not for
profit agency and can not afford to give everyone up to date equipment)  I
know that LINUX runs well on 486's with minimal memory and we have several
of these that could be pressed into service....my question: Are the many
programs that are becoming available for Linux able to be run on UNIX
machines or is there that big a difference between the two OS's?  I suspect
not as my understanding is that LINUX was written with the PC in mind but I
would be happy to be wrong.  Conversely....is anyone aware if any of the
major software UNIX platforms? eg...Lotus,Corel, etc.  I have been charged
with the task of teaching these users to utilize the system and the rather
difficult Mental Health Management software that was written to run on it
and it is a rather daunting task for clinicians who are not only computer
phobic but who also don't type.  Need to find a way to make this system more
"user Friendly" while not costing my center any more large expenditures(they
paid a LOT of $$$ for the software package and are intent on getting their
money's worth even if it means hundreds of hours of staff training time.
Classic pennywise pound foolish......so now I must work behind the scenes as
it were to find a way to make the system accessible to the user while not
putting the decision makers in the position of owning up to their
error......Sometimes I think I ought to go back to being a union
member.....this management stuff can be a little thorny<g>

         The PCSOFT web site always needs good submissions.  If
               software tech tips or software reviews to: