Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
don penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 23:36:19 -0700
Mary writes:

<<...what differences my father sees in
his computer (running XP) or or my win95 friends see in theirs that are
different than what is in my win98SE.  I am talking about differences in
menus, control panel, system information, and things of that nature>>

I doubt there is such a site, and if there was it probably wouldn't be a
lot of use to you.

There were so many different versions of Win 95 (about 26 I think) and
probably the same with 98, and so many different ways each computer may be
set up,  that you really wouldn't know which version you're looking
at.  Most of the differences were behind the scenes and therefore not
visible.  The transition from 95-98 was a gradual one from the outside
looking in.

You could have the identical version on 2 computers but the chances are
that they will look totally different because of the way people configure
them for their own personal use. For example, some use the 2-pane Explorer
all the time while unbelievers like me use a single-window setup, so I'm
completely lost when working on another computer with the "traditional"
2=pane view.

Menus also can be set up to individual requirements---what you see in your
Start Menu will be quite different to what I see on mine, even though we
may have the same OS.

Some functions built into 98 are add-ons for 95 (eg msconfig) and most
people would have them by now.

The "visible" differences between say Win 95C (the later version of 95) and
the early 98 is, as far as I can see, pretty negligible, and in any event
are often offset by the addition of utilities which give the appearance and
functions of a later version.

A case in point----I recently emailed a copy of a window to a friend (my
Win 95B often runs an XP-look  "skin") and he thought from the appearance
that I'd actually installed XP! And that's happened more than once.

I've no doubt your father's XP will be very different from your 98, but I
doubt that you'd know whether you're operating 95 or 98 in most cases. As I
said, the visible progression thru the Winxx family was quite blurred.

I'm usually floundering when using anybody else's computer, not because of
different OS's, but because of the individual setups.

    Why can't everyone be like me.
    Oh what a perfect place the world would then be.

Don Penlington

Free computer tutorials at: http://www.geocities.com/donaldpen/
Also Fractal Galleries,  free icons,  poetry,  and beautiful Queensland beaches.

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>