Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Michael Wosnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 15:27:49 -0400
I have just installed Office 2000 and have a strange problem with Word. When
it installed, it seems to have picked up an orphan program and is claiming
it as its own.

I have a small flatbed scanner and the software that scans images etc is
called Ezphoto.exe. In my Ezphoto directory there is a file called
Ezphoto.dot. I do not know the normal function of this file, but suspect it
is NOT a Word template (although maybe it is, I cannot tell, and the
documentation makes no reference to it). In any case, when Word 2000
installed, it somehow picked up on this Ezphoto.dot file and seems to now
feel that it must launch it every time Word starts.

If I leave the ezphoto.dot file alone in the non-word (ezphoto) directory,
EVERY single time Word starts it adds a new little button into my Word
toolbar called "EZP" which, when you click it, launches the ezphoto program
(don't want that!). Curiously, if I shut Word down, then relaunch Word, a
second EZP button appears right next to the first. This keeps happening ad
infinitum...

If I delete or move the ezphoto.dot file, when Word starts up it gives me an
error dialogue telling me that it cannot find the template
\ezphoto\ezphoto.dot! If I click OK, the error dialogue goes away, and Word
appears to start normally (but I don't really know if all is normal or not).
One thing I do know, is that Word takes about 30 seconds to start up, and
this on PII-400 with 96 Megs of RAM!! I have a lesser machine at work, and
Word starts up in about 7 seconds. Clearly it is trying to do something
extraneous as it starts up, or at least so it seems.

I tried re-installing Word (after I deleted the offending ezphoto.dot file
so that the Office installer program could not see the .dot file and try to
"capture" it again), but that did not help. I even tried using the install
program to remove Office in its entirety and re-installed it all over again,
but clearly,  "removing" Office (even with its own de-installer that says it
removes it completely) does not REALLY remove Office completely, since my
custom toolbars returned without any additional action from me, my Outlook
mail and mailboxes were resurrected etc, and of course Word is still looking
for the ezphoto.dot file!!  And Word simply will not start up without it (or
at least not without OK'ing the error dialogue).

I have searched the registry for references to 'ezphoto.dot' and found none.

I have looked at the properties of the Word shortcut to see if any
additional command has been added to the executable and it is simply
"WinWord.exe" with no extra commands or switches.

Can anyone tell me how to disengage Word from looking for this file every
time it starts up, or from putting additional buttons in my toolbar as it
tries to enable me to launch this program?

This one is a real puzzler.

Thanks to all in advance.

Michael Wosnick

                         The NOSPIN Group, Inc.