Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Howard Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 13:01:08 -0300
Quite simply, you have a virus.  Symantec / Norton antivirus is a favorite
target of virus  writers.  Try and get  another (from a noninfected
computer) antivirus mounted on a floppy or a boot disk and scan your system
thoroughly, checking  every file type.  Then uninstall the best you can the
damaged Norton antivirus, and if all goes well, you can reinstall Norton
again!  Also download and install the latest LiveUpdate (1.91) and set it to
check and update automatically with no intervention, your customer will
appreciate this.  I use F-PROT in DOS to clean Windows FAT32 systems.  It is
very efficient and fast but first use SMARTDRV in your autoexec.bat file or
you will have to sit and watch the screen for awhile.  F-PROT DOS is free
and can be found at www.f-prot.com.  Be sure to get the latest DEF  files,
they are updated almost daily.

Howard Rubin
The Computer Doctor
Fortaleza, Brazil

RE:  Date:    Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:58:09 -0500
From:    Emie <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Reformat/Reload/Reconfigure

Problem-  A customer walked into our shop with her CPU, described to a Tech
that the only problem she's having was NAV missing a file, and live update
database fails to load during start up.  To fix her problem, she wanted the
missing file reloaded off her NAV CD and secondly, to fix NAV so that the
live update database file will load up during start up.  Yes Mam!  Sounds
simple enough!!

Here's what happened:
Friday last week, the lady said Symantec would not let her pass through the
booting sequence eveytime she starts up her PC.  (Too common at this time of
the year, Symantec/NAV wanted her to renew her subscription "now!")  She
went ahead and renewed her subscription for another year.  She used her PC
that day.
The following day attempting to access her email, that's when hell broke
loose on her.  She got the BSOD, and the following messages:
"Live Update database file failed to load,"
"NAV auto-protect is unable to start"
"Symenvt.386 is missing, system is halted.  Need to reload Norton
Anti-virus."
Desperate attempts to bring up Windows, fires up "Windows Protection error"
messages.
(Da*n, this is hopeless case!  Thanks Norton!)

I believe Norton or Symantec is practically holding this PC a hostage.   How
can Symantec/NORTON expects PC owners to reload their *&^%#$!! antivirus
program if this same program shutsdown the System and prevents Windows from
starting up?  I don't think I have any option here but to reformat, reload
and reconfigure this system.  I am open to suggestions... HELP!!

WinMe, AMD XP 1800  512MB mem, 80 GBHD, I'Net via DSL

Emie DelRosario