Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
don penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 23:30:09 -0700
Heather writes:

<<I have Windows 98 and I am starting to get several errors.  I was told
that the only way to fix this is to run fdisk, format my hard drive, then
reinstall everything.  I was also told that I should do this every six
months or so depending on how often I use my computer.  Is this correct?>>

No, not usually.  It's the techies cheap n easy answer to problems they
can't fix.  Of course, it does keep everything in new condition, but
usually at enormous cost in time and temper.  Depends what backup
facilities and patience you have.

If you have a system of making regular registry backups, and restoring from
these occasionally, you should never need to reformat. (See my tutorials
for detailed step-by-step info on various ways to make registry backups).

Errors will gradually creep into most systems over time.  These are most
easily fixed by a registry restoration.  Sometimes you have to experiment a
little to find the best registry to restore back to.  The time to make a
backup of your registry is (a) When your computer is running nicely. (b)
immediately after you've installed any major new program.  And its often a
good idea to make a backup before you install anything major as well, in
case the new thing is a disaster and you need to return to the previous
clean registry. Win 98 has a semi-automatic process which does this for
you. But that may not save you if error messages have been plaguing you for
some time. Errors tend to compound on themselves, especially if they result
in an improper closure. You then need to be very careful in the way you reboot.

If you haven't kept any registry backups from a time when your computer was
good, then perhaps a reformat may in the last resort be the only way to go.

Presumably you've tried all the usual methods of fixing whatever errors you
are getting.

Don Penlington
Free computer tutorials at: http://www.geocities.com/donaldpen/
Also Fractal Galleries,  free icons,  poetry,  and beautiful Queensland beaches.

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com