Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:38:44 -0700
On 27 Jul 99, at 4:52, Barbara Shaw wrote:

> This list is so helpful.  I hope someone can help with this problem. A
> friend has  a Compaq Presario 9564 with Windows 95, Microsoft Works 3.5,
> and AOL 4.0. They are getting this message quite often, but can't tie it
> to anything in particular, except they are always on AOL when it occurs:
>
> A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:COO16999 in UXDVWIN32 (01) +
> 00000AFD.  The current application will be terminated....

  There is an important typo here.  The exception is occurring "in VXD
VWIN32" -- the VXD (Virtual Device driver) *named* "VWIN32", which
implements a lot of basic memory-handling functions used by other drivers.

  Once we know what the message really says, it's fairly easy to find a
link to

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q129/7/77.asp

which says:

+ To correct this problem, disable the Hidden Refresh option in your
+ computer's CMOS settings.

> After they reboot, the voices from AOL are gone. They have to reboot
> again to get them back.

  This error arises while trying to play a .WAV sound file, and probably
leaves the sound card or its driver in an invalid state that is cleared by
rebooting.

  [Until I found the Microsoft Knowledge Base article referenced above, I
was going to guess that the sound card driver was corrupted, misconfigured,
or for some slightly different piece of hardware.]

David G

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html