Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:22:52 +1300
Kevin, 'svcinit.exe' is apparently propagated by the Sinit trojan.  Have a look here for info:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.sinit.html

So you don't want that one back.

Win.ini is a bit more serious, as it's the Windows initialisation file.  However, you should have up to 5 recent copies of that file tucked away in your sysbckup folder.

You should be able to restore an earlier copy by starting in DOS and typing  'scanreg /restore'  (no quotes) and selecting the cabfile with the most recent date.

The cabfile contains all of your registry data and ini files.  If that fails, try an earlier one - there should be 5 to choose from.

For anyone who wants to keep more than 5 backups, start Windows and find a file called scanreg.ini.  Open it in Notepad and change the '=5' to 10 or 20 or whatever (keeping in mind that each cabfile might be 3-4mb in size)

Sorry if I haven't quoted the exact wording in the ini as I'm working from memory.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

  From: Kevin Lauzon
  Subject: [PCSOFT] Need to find two missing Win98 system files

  I have a computer with windows 98 which is now missing the following files
  (svcinit.exe & win.ini) as they were infected with a virus, quarantined, unable to be repaired & then deleted by Norton. Is there a site similar to the .dll site where you can download
  these files? Someone borrowed my win 98 install CD & I no longer have it.