Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 2009 02:54:26 -0400
It depends on the motherboard set up:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/82184/avoid_static_damage_to_your_pc.html
"However, since today's PCs have voltage flowing through their motherboards
whenever they're plugged in (5 volts direct current are used for switching
the PC on and off), it's all too easy to accidentally short something and
zap your motherboard, without static being involved at all. That's why it's
essential that PCs be unplugged when you work with them".
My oldest PC doesn't have this feature, but all the others do.
I suspect static discharge is rare, as I've never seen or heard of a case
personally.

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Computer9f <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The instructions that came with my computer (as well as my electronic
> engineer husband) said, for maintenance, to turn it off, but leave it
> plugged in, and then ground yourself to the steel (not the aluminum) to
> protect the electronics from damage.  You don't have to ground yourself to
> the PC; you can ground yourself elsewhere, but the computer itself must be
> grounded.  All computers have a grounded (three-prong) plug that carries
> static electricity "to ground."  If you put a static charge into an
> ungrounded computer, the charge is likely to go into the memory or other
> electronic part, rather than be harmlessly discharged through the ground
> wire.
>
> This is for maintenance - replacing things or cleaning.  When you BUILD a
> computer, you have to have/keep everything on anti-static mats and be VERY
> careful to ground yourself elsewhere with a strap, because you have no
> ground for static electricity until you have enough put together to plug it
> in and ground it, being sure to TURN IT OFF.  The "turn it off" part is very
> important.
>
> You could ground yourself elsewhere for maintenance, but that does not
> ground the computer and you are not the only source of electrostatic
> charges.  Vacuums and all sorts of things transmit electrostatic charge.
>
> --AnnaSummers

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml