Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Dave Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:16:12 -0700
If the PC crashed, it was most likely due to the online habits and no firewall.  I keep hearing about problems with Norton Inet Security, registry cleaners and the such.  I have used Norton, McAfee, Avast, etc. since Windows 95 osr-1 came out and have finally gotten it down pat.  Norton Internet Security (program & service) has continuously improved since 2008.  I always install from a new Disk.  There are always deals near the end of the year.  in 2008, Internet Security was free after the ODepot & Norton Rebates.  I buy the 3-PC licensed one.  The worst thing that happened was a re-install after a power outage and disruption of my DLink router software (another story).

It is often online and/or maintenance habits of the user that cause problems.

I have always used custom security settings in Internet Explorer.  I always CClean and Glary Utilities after internet sessions.  I never allow auto updates to my software, only notifications.  Very often the updates don't apply.  They can also happen when you are running resource-hungry programs, installs, downloads, or other net sessions.  Talk about mess-ups.

When using PC cleaners, always uncheck the Recycle Bin, as it is easy to recover a file from, and just as easy to delete the file later.

I always use my provider's Webmail, never Outlook or others.  I set the Webmail security to custom settings.

I have always used some sort of Registry Cleaner. Currently, I use the ones included with CCleaner AND Glary Utilities, but I've used RegEdit and RegClean in the past.

Windows updates is set to notify me, not install.  There is a lot of junk that you don't need, especially in Win 7.

And, always, always, set restore points before doing installs, and create backup images.  That is my main weakness.  I put it off, lol.

David Thompson

--- On Tue, 3/1/11, John Green <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: John Green <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [PCSOFT] Is RegAce Registry Cleaner by Microsoft?
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tuesday, March 1, 2011, 8:23 PM

I have not found any commercial registry cleaner that did not ultimately in
time crash my system. I did have relatively good luck with Ccleaner from
Piraform, www.piraform.com. But after using it for several months,
eventually my system did crash, I cannot say for sure at this point if the
cleaner caused it or it was because my internet security software expired,
and when I did not renew it, the firewall locked everything & the system
crashed. If you just want to play, or clean "junk" from the registry I
suggest the old saying, "If it works no need to fix it" applies, The
registry is like heart or brain surgery in a human, should be left to the
experts.

I have had good luck with a Microsoft affiliated website. It was suggested
by MSN support: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm you must run
it from Internet Explorer as it did not work from Opera, Firefox or
Seamonkey. Oh yea, I almost forgot, this link is for Win XP I think I had a
friend try it with Vista, and it did not work.  Hope this helps, good luck.