Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 23:33:25 -0500
At 19:25 27-03-98 -0500, Doug wrote:
>The save password check box on my dial up network box is grayed out and
>I cannot select it. I remember reading a solution to this in the past,
>however I didn't need it then and I didn't pay that much attention.

Here's what I posted some time ago. Something here should help.

Usually, the lack of the "Client for Microsoft Networks" in Network
Properties causes the "remember password" box to be greyed out. (Note
that this is NOT the same as MSN.)   If you do have the greyed out box,
add the "Client..." and it should solve the problem.

Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network. Click Add. In the Select
Network Component Type dialog box, click Client, and then click Add.
In the list of manufacturers, click Microsoft, click Client for
Microsoft Networks, and then click OK. Click the Identification tab,
and then where it says Computer Name, enter the login name you use
for your ISP. Add anything for Workgroup.  Then restart your computer.
When your computer starts, Windows will prompt you to log on to your
system by typing a user name and password. Enter the username you use
when you logon to your Internet Provider (with Dial Up Networking) but
do not enter a password (i.e., just hit the enter key instead of
entering a password. Or hit "OK", but do *not* enter "Cancel".) When
asked if Windows95 should remember settings for this user, answer Yes.

If you *ever* saw the startup password dialog box at boot and pressed
CANCEL to bypass it, at that time you prevented the password file(s)
from being loaded at bootup for subsequent use by DUN and other
applications. From Win95's perspective, the passwords were
generated under another user (which in this case happens to be you),
and you are an anonymous user using the system. What you need to do is
get the logon dialog box to come back when you startup Win95.
In the /WINDOWS folder, find your password file (look for a file ending
with .pwl) and delete it.
The next time Windows 95 is rebooted, a new file will be generated. When
the startup password dialog box appears, enter the username you use when
you logon to your Internet Provider (with Dial Up Networking) but do not
enter a password (i.e., just hit the enter key.).  Windows 95 will
not ask you to enter the password next time you boot, but you should now
be able to save your DUN password.

If your version of Win95 is listed as 4.00.950a (note the "a") in Control
Panel, there is a password bug and you should get the "Password List
Update" fix from Microsoft at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/info/passwd.htm
This is not necessary for versions 4.00.950 or 4.00.950b of Win95.

Occasionally, the Password List (pwl) files get corrupted. Try deleting
(or renaming) all *.PWL files in your Windows directory. You should enter
your Internet user name when you next boot. You'll want to hit <Enter>
instead of typing a password.

More information is available from the Microsoft Knowledge Base
articles entitled "Dial-Up Networking Password Is Not Saved" at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q148/9/25.asp and
"Save Password Check Box Is Unavailable" at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q137/3/61.asp
Also see "Dial-Up Networking Refuses to Remember Passwords" half way
down the http://www.creativelement.com/win95ann/win95ann5.html
webpage.

Regards,
Bill