Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:05:32 -0800
On 17 Feb 99, at 16:41, Paul Burgess wrote:

> I have a colleague who is running W98 who has a problem with display
> settings.
>
> Her PC is set to 640 x 480 and only 16 colours. The problem is that the
> dialogue box is too big to display the OK button at the bottom and it
> cannot be resized. This means that I can change the properties in the
> relevant places but cannot save them.
>
> Does anyone know of another way to do this ?

  I believe others have responded to this.

> Also I have on my PC 'True Colour 24 bit' whereas the best she has is
> 'High Colour 16 bit', which automatically reverts the resolution back
> to 640 x 480.

  The number of pixels (resolution) times the number of bytes per pixel
(colour depth) cannot exceed the size of the video RAM screen buffer.
So the first likely scenario is that she doesn't have enough RAM on her
video card to support greater colour depths AT THAT RESOLUTION.  16-bit
colour is more than adequate for all but the most demanding graphics
processing, so this isn't necessarily an urgent problem....

  Which colour depths are supported depends upon the video hardware and
the driver.  Many current cards will do 24-bit colour, and some support
32-bit settings as well -- again, if sufficient RAM is available.

  Ahhh.  When she picks "High Color 16 bit" in the Display Properties
dialog, the resolution reverts to 640x480 -- the highest resolution at
which shee has enough RAM to do 16-bit colour.  This tells us that she
has 512K of RAM on her video card -- if she had 1 MB, she could do
800x600x16bit.  YOUR video card probably has at least 2 MB of RAM on
it; 4 MB is currently common and 8 MB is typical of 3D accelerators.
  [My first thought was that the machine was reverting to
640x480x16*color* (standard VGA) because of a mismatch between driver
and video card, but I'm fairly sure that's not what you're describing.]

  [Display properties questions might be more likely to find answers on
PCBUILD than PCSOFT -- although I'm sure I'm not the only one on both
lists.]

David G

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html