Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 13:05:00 -0800
On 27 Jan 99, at 11:03, RU9 wrote:

> we are trying to develop here, that is, the NSCB intranet/extranet. A
> component of the intranet is a client database/directory which is
> shared and can be updated by different NSCB units. But the client
> database will not only serve as a mailing list but a real database
> connected to several Intranet/extranet systems such as order and
> delivery system, publications/services subscription system, market
> segmentation and market research, directory for statistical
> coordination, etc..
>
> May I ask for some suggestions on how to approach this problem?
> What software to use and other resources needed?

  This is a tall order, and so I think there are two things you will
need -- and you can save yourself some grief by getting them sooner
rather than later:

1.  A "database engine" server package.  Top choices would be
Microsoft's "SQL Server", or Oracle.  There are tools available to
connect these to intranets and extranets.

2.  A database analyst ("DBA"), who will know how to organize the
various database tables to best support your needs.  Ideally, the DBA
should be very familiar with the engine selected, so the two kind of go
hand-in-hand.

  If you know ahead of time that you'll be using ODBC to connect to the
engine, it's possible to start working up a prototype using Microsoft
Access.  But be prepared for your DBA to chuck all that and start
over....

David G

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcsoft.html