Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Kevin Bachelder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:58:25 -0400
Hey Carol,

I haven't had my hands on a PC that was "downgraded" from XP so I don't
know what remnants might still be in place.  Obviously a complete reinstall
(i.e. fdisk, format, install) would make for a cleaner system but that
might be a bit of a heavy handed approach especially if the end user has
many custom programs or data files saved.

Why not use the Blaster removal tool from Norton or another anti-virus
vendor, run Windows Update and make sure their anti-virus program is
updated then see if the problems persist before blowing everything away.  I
guess a lot depends on what the end user wants.

Good luck,

Kevin

------------------
Kevin Bachelder

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) - Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) - Windows 2000
Citrix Certified Administrator (CCA)
CompTIA A+ Certified Computer Repair Technician (A+)

At 01:02 AM 9/3/2003, you wrote:
>Date:    Tue, 2 Sep 2003 19:07:06 -0500
>From:    Carol <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Virus question
>
>Hello..
>I had a friend call me about a computer problem.  They're computer shuts
>down frequently with a message similar to the one that I've heard comes up
>when the system is infected with the Blaster virus.  This system came with
>windows XP however, their adult kids felt that for them windows 98 would be
>simpler for them so they downgraded to windows 98.  I've heard the the
>blaster virus doesn't affect windows 98 but because this system has been
>downgraded from XP I was wondering if it could still affect it.  I have no
>idea whether the hard drive was formatted and a clean stall of windows 98
>was preformed or not.  Aside from this problem, the system as a whole
>doesn't seem to work right.  She didn't say just what wasn't working right,
>just asked me if I would come over and try to get it working right.  Anyone
>have any thoughts or ideas?  My thought is to reinstall XP, restore it to
>factory settings.
>
>Any input would be appreciated.
>Thanks.
>Carol Burnside