Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Kevin Lauzon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 07:27:58 -0500
Subject: Re: Need to find two missing Win98 system files

I went to http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000211.htm (site which comes up on google search). I followed the instructions but now computer will not stay on. It is quite apparent the instructions at this site are lacking critical info.

It never explained what to do at the end. I typed "exit" to get out of DOS. I turned computer off with button & restarted. The computer turns on, does a memory check, you can choose to enter setup at this page, then displays win 98, then shows a message (something about running windows setup) on a dos screen so fast you can't read it all before the computer shuts down again.  I can get into the set up menu but have no idea what to do from there.What next?

At the following link you will see the instructions shown below.

REFERENCE NUMBER: CH000211
How to restore the system.ini and win.ini:

Issue:

How to restore the system.ini and win.ini.

Cause:

It may be required to restore the system.ini and or the win.ini if improperly edited, corrupted or deleted.

Solution:

If you are using Windows 3.x and are in Windows

  Click File and choose to exit Windows

If you are using Windows 95/98 and are in Windows

  Click Start
  Click Shutdown
  Choose to restart the computer in MS-DOS mode and click ok.

Once at the MS-DOS prompt type the following to restore the system.ini:

  cd\windows <press enter>
  ren system.ini system.ch <press enter>

  If after attempting to rename the system.ini you receive File not found continue to follow the below steps.

  ren system.--- system.ini <press enter>

  If after attempting to type the above command you receive file not found follow the below instructions, if you do not receive a message your system.ini should be restored to its original state.

  dir system.*

  If you see a file other then system.ch such as system.bak or system.000 follow the above instructions however replace the --- for the appropriate extension on your computer.

Once at the MS-DOS prompt type the following to restore the win.ini:

  cd\windows <press enter>
  ren win.ini win.ch <press enter>

  If after attempting to rename the win.ini you receive File not found continue to follow the below steps.

  ren win.--- win.ini <press enter>

  If after attempting to type the above command you receive file not found follow the below instructions, if you do not receive a message your win.ini should be restored to its original state.

  dir win.*

  If you see a file other then win.ch or win.com such as win.bak or win.000 follow the above instructions however replace the --- for the appropriate extension on your computer.

Additional Information:

The system.--- or win.--- is the original system.ini and win.ini files used as backups when Windows was first installed. When recovering these files it will restore this backup which means some programs or changes that have been made to these files will be lost.

If a particular program does not work after following the above instructions simply reinstall that program. The above instructions are used to fix boot errors or various other computer issues.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml