Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 07:52:49 -0700
Unfortunately there is another fly to throw into the defrag soup. The defrag
software performs the defrag according to what the drive electronics
reports. Unfortunately, modern drives tell fibs to the system. The reported
sectors are not the actual physical geometry of the drive. Therefore, your
defrag software is defragging not necessarily according to the actual
physical (read head movement) layout of the drive.

Regarding wear and tear, you are probably right. An occasional defrag could
reduce overall wear, but doing a defrag every week will likely cause a lot
more wear than it saves.

One last item. If you are running XP or another version of NT with NTFS,
defrag may not be all that effective because NTFS has its own disk
optimization routines. Rather than just defragging, it does make some sense
to redistribute the files according to usage. Norton SpeedDisk does this
(although it is pitifully slow), and I believe that Diskkeeper does so as
well.

Peter
The NoSpin Group

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: