Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
A&C Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:19:10 -0700

From: "Ian Porter"

Subject: Re: [PCSOFT] Registry and system check utilities

> snipped for brevity <

> After I run this lot, which is about once a week, I go into the
> C:\Windows\sysbckup folder and rename the file of the day to rb***.99
> (instead of rb***.cab, *** being the number of the file)
>
> The .99 suffix tells me it's a 'nearly-good' file, so if there's a disaster
> in the process, at least I have that one to fall back on.
>
> Then I reboot so Windows will build a fresh, up-to-date cabfile.
>
> After the reboot, I rename the new cabfile to rb---.1st or 2nd etc. Every
> couple of months, I dump all of the older ones
>
> The reason for the renaming the cabfiles to .99 or .1st etc is so Windows
> won't delete the file, which it does after the default period of 5 days, if
> the file has a .cab extension.
>
> HTH
>
> Ian Porter
-------------

Ian,

Is it me, or do you just enjoy all that extra work? :)

I find it easier to allow Windows to save more than the standard 5 registry backup files. My
sysbckup folder currently contains 99 rb***.cab files, which I believe is the maximum your
scanreg.ini file will allow. If you aren't aware of this trick, open your scanreg.ini file and
change the line "MaxBackupCopies=5" to "MaxBackupCopies=99". This way I have 3 months of backups and
the oldest one gets written over on reboot. This does use a lot of disk space, but what's 3/4 of a
gig these days. The only problem I have run into using this method is how many and which ones
scanreg determines I have access to - it's not 99 and it's not constant (usually about 15). Is there
another way to re-install a rb***.cab file other than using scanreg? (not scanregw)

Al Thompson

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml