Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 18:37:38 -0600
From: "'Nita from Grafton, VA" :Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2000 8:59 PM
Subject: [PCSOFT] Open port?

Thanks for the assistance on "internet repair" - worked great.

Now, one more problem.  I'm trying to install Costco's free internet program
on my child's hand-me down laptop (has WIN95 on it).  I easily updated the
browser and installed the free internet program - but when it is trying to
dial in, I get the message "port is already open" and cannot dial in.  I've
spent about three hours trying to figure it out - unsuccessfully.  I tried
to use the internet wizard but it said it did not detect a modem.  When I
went to control panel/modem, it says the modem is on port 2 (com2).  What do
I need to do?

Anita Faulkner

Anita,

Does the modem work with any other programs? Many programs require that the
modem be on a standard I/O and IRQ for them to find the modem.  I have also
found upon installation of some of the new modems that they will not work if
not using standard IRQ. Com port and I/O but will give the message that the
port is already in use until the modem is reconfigured to a standard port.
If your modem is on com2 the IRQ should be set to 3 and the I/O
(Input/Output Range) should be 02F8 - 02FF.  With Win95 you should be able
to change these settings in Device Manager by deselecting "Use Automatic
Settings", highlighting the setting and click the "Change Setting" button.

Mary Wolden

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html