Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 22:39:12 +1300
Michael, you could check the accuracy of the Active Monitor by going into the BIOS and seeing what's reported as the CPU temperature in there.  There should be a section labelled 'PC Health' or something similar where you'll find the info.  One point - it should read a bit cooler in the BIOS as the CPU doesn't get exercised until Windows gets going.

However, I wouldn't consider 50C anything to be concerned about - mine runs at that most of the time.  The CPU would have to hit 90C or more to cause any damage.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

The NOSPIN Group
http://freepctech.com

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Michael A. Wosnick
  Subject: Re: [PCSOFT] CPU temp in Windows XP

  Ironically, just last night I myself installed Intel's Active Monitor.
  Problem is, I don't know what the "normal" temp of the CPU should actually
  be.

  The gauge in the monitor is similar to a tachometer with a green, yellow and
  red zone. The pre-set alarm is at the border of the yellow and red. Makes
  sense.

  But my temp is always running very close to the very top end of the green
  (about 50 deg C, or about 110-120  deg F). Is this what I should expect, or
  should it be lower and solidly in the "middle" of the green range. I assume
  it has been running there for the last 6 months since I bought the machine,
  but as they say, ignorance is bliss. Now that I actually see the CPU temp,
  it is worrying me that the system is running a bit too warm. Should I be
  worried or is this normal?

  My CPU is an Intel P4 - 3.0 GHz with HT (and I am running under Win XP Pro
  and Intel's most recent BIOS).

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml