Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 22:34:35 -0700
  SSL wraps a layer of encryption around a network session so eavesdroppers
cannot recognize things like passwords and credit card numbers.
  Browsers can generally support SSL at two "strengths".  When comparing the
same encryption system, strengths are distinguished by the lenght of the
"key" value used; SSL's two strengths are "40 bits" and "128 bits".

  When Microsoft released Windows 98, it was illegal to ship encryption
systems using more than 40 bits to many foreign countries.  (Regulations
have changed since then.)  So Microsoft included only 40-bit encryption in
the package; to get 128-bit encryption, users had to connect to a Microsoft
site from a North American IP address to download an upgrade.

  I'm guessing that you may be going to an e-commerce site (such as on-line
banking...) that is configured to require the 128-bit strength of SSL.  So
it's not that you don't have SSL, just that you probably don't have the
upgrade installed that the site needs.

  (I suspect that you may be able to get the update via WindowsUpdate, but I
could be wrong.)

David Gillett

On 6 Sep 2003, at 10:54, Myra Drew wrote:

> In a message dated 8/30/2003 7:38:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> > Dear Group,..
> > this is my first time writting to you,i am running windows 98 and have DSL..
> >
> > My problem is everytime i go into a site i get a window saying my ssl isnt
> > enabled...what does this mean, and how do i enable it,...what is SSL...???
> >
> > would appreciate any help with this problem,am also havinng hard times
> > getting into yahoo games,and netscape games...
> >
> > thanx,...dianna wimberley

> Glossary into the search box , go to SSL It enables secure financial
> transactions on the WWW. Don't have a clue how to enable it.
> Myra Drew, [log in to unmask]
>
>              PCSOFT maintains many useful files for download

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml