Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Larry Scroggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 21:32:48 -0600
I have a problem that I have been trying to solve since yesterday afternoon
and I have exhausted all of my ideas. I installed Windows Me over Windows 98
SE and the installation went well except for one thing, I cannot access the
Internet from my system.

Dial up networking dials my ISP (EarthLink), the modems negotiate a
connection and finally the information window shows a successful logon at
36K (the same speed that I usually connect at). The Dial up networking
window reads something like: Dialing..., Verifying user name and password,
and finally challenge handshake authentication, TCP/IP.

When I open Outlook 2000 (my mail program) and attempt to download my mail,
I get  an error of "the server could not be found, mail.earthlink.net, error
number 0x800ccc0d."This is the correct address of my POP3 server.

When I open Explorer 5.5 I get an error of "cannot find server or DNS
error."

When I ping EarthLink's DNS (207.217.126.81)from a DOS Window, it times out
with four packets sent and none received.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled my modem (internal USR 56K Voice Win)
several times with the latest drivers. The modem tests fine when I run the
modem diagnostics from the modem control panel and there is no indication of
trouble in Device Manager. It also works well when I am accessing my local
bank account via a direct dial-in not using the Internet.

I have checked, rechecked, and triple checked the settings in both Dial up
networking and my network settings for EarthLink. I went to the EarthLink
web site to make sure that none of the settings had changed.

I have removed and added back the network components (Client for Microsoft
Networks, Dial-Up Adapter, Dial-Up adapter #2 (VPN Support)) 3Com
EthernetLink XL 10/100 PCI for Complete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX) and
made sure the Dial-Up adapter is bound to the TCP/IP. The machine has a
network card but is a stand alone home machine.

This system is a Gateway E-4200, 96MB Ram, Pentium III 400 and has
functioned with no major problems since I got it a year ago. Any help with
this problem will be greatly appreciated. I don't know of anything left to
check. I also did a search of the Microsoft knowledge base on Windows Me but
couldn't find an answer there either. I'm sure someone in this esteemed
group will point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Larry Scroggs

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions