Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Max Timchenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:56:24 +0200
Hello,

  Missed the original post, so I'll use this refined reply as a base.
I have just completed similar course, so I think I can throw some light
on the subject.

>> I will attending college this fall and the first class I have is C/C++
>> Programming.

The C is the thing you have to know. It's the way it goes. If you get
C++, you also can in very short time get JScript, JavaScript and Java
- they are all based on C and used on the Internet. Moreover, you can
also learn other object-oriented languages quickly because you'll have
a grasp on the basics; Delphi [evolution of Pascal], to name one.

This course won't teach you programming for Windows. Just the basics
of C++ (the C course is prerequisite for this course at my university).

> under UNIX environment

We had a choice of genuine Digital UNIX terminals (some of them with
12" green screen!), X-Windows workstations and NT workstations, using
telnet and ftp. I prefer the latter for these reasons:
  1) I can take whatever I have done and finish it at home
  2) I can use my favourite file manager and text editor for
  massive writing (I don't like the keyboard layout of UNIX terminals)
  3) I can open a lot of windows at once (also with X-Windows)
but you have to ftp files back and forth.

DG>   Your class examples and assignments will be done on machines running some
DG> flavour of UNIX; for an introductory course, you will almost certainly be
DG> sharing these machines amongst a number of students.  It would be really bad
DG> if an elementary programming error by one student could crash a machine being
DG> used by several/many; fortunately, this is unlikely to happen by accident
DG> under UNIX.

  True. We shared one UNIX mainframe with all students of the faculty.
It crashes sometimes, but our NT servers crash at least twice as
often. The error that would send '98 into bluescreen agony, merely writes
the error message on UNIX, and you can keep working... I like that.

>> Arithmetic operations, branches, arrays, data structures, and use of
>> pointers are introduced.

Arithmetics, arrays and pointers were covered in our basic C course.
We studied data structures, ADTs, [abstract data type],
Object-Oriented Programming [C++] and, finally, UNIX system calls and
the UNIX shell.

>> Seeing as all I have ever dealt with is Windows and Office 97 and some
>> games, I have no clue about any of the above. I am asking for any advice,
>> resources on the internet, or recommendations for help relating to this
>> class.

Well... I had a background in the area, so it was easy for me. Most
students I know find this course harder than average but easier than
a few other courses. The homeworks take a load of time.

If you have any questions left or if you'll need an advice, write me
a letter and I'll be glad to help you if I can.

+=-.
| Max Timchenko [MaxVT]
| [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
| (ICQ) 238-6792