Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 03:30:39 +1000
Lynn wrote:
>Didn't there used to be a tweak in Win95 where you could move a file instead
>of using the send to. What I'm looking for is some shortcut that would move
>a file from C drive to F drive and not just copy it to F. I don't want to
>have to delete stuff after I've used the move command.
>
>I'm running WinXP>>

Not sure if I read you correctly, but I assume you're referring to the
differences in using "SendTo" in XP as against W95.

You are quite right (though it's nothing to do with TweakUI). In W95,
Sendto moved a file.  In XP, it copies.

When I first came to XP from W95, I too thought this was a huge nuisance,
but I must admit that I've now become used to it and it's second nature now
to simply delete the file after you've clicked SendTo. I tried in vain to
find a way to change the default behaviour.

Initially, I used to check the destination to see if the file had really
gone before deleting the original.  Now I have more faith in the
system---it hasn't failed me yet (and I use it all the time--it's my only
method of file management.)

As the file you're moving is already selected, it's easy enuf to just hit
the delete button if you don't want to retain the file in 2 places.

The SendTo facility, if set up properly, is probably the quickest, most
powerful, and easiest way to move files around your computer.  Sadly, it's
one that a lot of people don't know about.  The secret in setting it up
properly is to place a shortcut to the "SendTo" folder into the SendTo
folder itself. That sounds a bit incestuous until you think about
it.  Doing that means that you can then use the SendTo facility to place
all other possible destinations into the SendTo context menu with one
click.  If that sounds like nonsense, read my tutorial.

You can even use the facility to open a file in any program other than that
associated with that file. Just send the file to the alternate program, and
it will open in that program. eg :"Sending" a text file to Wordpad will
open that file in Wordpad instead of the default Notepad, as long as you
have Wordpad.exe in the SendTo folder.

I find the standard 2-pane Explorer extremely tedious and cumbersome.

I won't go into full details here, but those readers wishing more info will
find a tutorial on SendTo on my website. Although I originally wrote it for
W95, it still holds good for XP.  The only caveat is to ensure that you
find the correct SendTo folder for your login user name.  You will find
that XP has more than one of these folders--one of its annoyances when
you're new to XP on a single-user computer.

Configuring the SendTo folder is one of the first things I do whenever
setting up a new computer for anyone.

One further tip:  Stick a shortcut to the SendTo folder in your Start
Menu.  Then you've always got easy access to it whenever you want to add or
remove a destination, especially for temporary ones.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml