Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 01:11:09 -0700
<Will a 486SX2 handle Windows 95?

I didn't realize Intel made a SX version of  DX2 66 but I have run the first edition of Win95 on a 486DX33 with 16 megs of RAM and found it unbearably slow for anything other then a network print server and file storage.
A 486DX2 66 with 16 megs of ram is quick enough for basic applications ...like E Mail or an older Word Processor like Word 6 or Office 4.2 ......and a 486DX4100 with 32 megs of ram runs  as well if not better then a Pentium 60.

Win98 will bog a 486 processor down and modern games are out of the question with any of these processors as are many new applications but for basic business use particularly with legacy software they perform well and many offices are still using 486 PCs.

If he has a large L2 cache.....say 256kb....... and If his other components .....video card, hard drive...ram are pretty quick for their time then I would give it a shot and see how it does with either Win95 or Win95b.......but not 98.

mark

>Compaq Presario 486SX2, 66MHz.
>This is probably an old question, but it has surfaced for a friend of
>mine.  Will a 486SX2 handle Windows 95?  Does Windows 95 require a CPU
>with a math coprocessor?

                                  -----
        **Need help with PCSOFT mailing list? Send an Email to:**