Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 00:26:09 -0500
Philippe,

I went to the Microsoft article, but that refers to Windows ME.  That is the operating system I had before I installed Windows 2000.  I do not think there is a Restore feature in 2000.  There is no troubleshoot and disable system restore.  Do you think this C:_Restore\Archive\FS5.CAB is left over from ME?  I can't find any of the files when I do a search.   All I see in the C Drive is _Restore.  When I click on properties, there are 356 files, 5 folders.  When I ran a Norton Anti-Virus scan just on that folder, it says no viruses found.  But when I do a whole system scan, the same 3 files show up in that folder. but they cannot be quarantined.

Nancy Klocker

Date:    Tue, 1 Jan 2002 00:42:03 -0500
From:    Nancy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: SOFTWARE? QUESTION

I have been following this topic with interest.  Here is my problem:  On =
12/24 I upgraded my computer from ME to 2000.  It went very well.  I had =
to download a few drivers and update some programs.  I had to reinstall =
my Norton Anti-Virus.  As soon as it was installed, I did a scan and 3 =
files had the Win32.Goner.A@mm virus.  Norton was unable to quarantine =
them and the message was to delete them.  I cannot find them.  They are =
in C:\Restore\Archive\FS5.CAB.  The files are A0001286.cpy, A0001294.cpy =
and A0001303.cpy.  When I do a search for the files, nothing is found.  =
I opened C:\Restore and all that is in there is DISKCFG.DAT, =
SRDISKID...., VxDMon.cfg, and VxDMon.dat.  I scanned with Norton on each =
of these items and it said No Virus was Found.  I also scanned on the =
C:\Restore file and got the same message that no virus was found. =20

I have been emailing with Symantic and they tell me different sites to =
go to, but they keep referring me to the article about System Restore =
which is in ME.  I don't see it in 2000. =20

Does anyone know what these files are?  If I choose the option on Norton =
to manually deal with the virus instead of automatically, I have the =
option to quarantine the file.  It says it cannot do that.  Then I get a =
message to delete the file and replace it with a clean file.  I am =
afraid to try to delete them, since I don't know what they are!  Could =
this be something left over from ME that I don't need now? =20

I hope someone can understand what I am trying to say!!  Thank you for =
your help and Happy New Year!

Nancy Klocker

Date:    Sun, 30 Dec 2001 20:17:01 -0800
From:    [log in to unmask]

On 29 Dec 2001, at 20:56, Philippe J Beaulieu wrote:

> I recently lost a huge chunk of hard drive space. Careful searching of =
my
> hard drive has found a lot of hidden files on my system. in =
c:\restore\temp
> there are a total of 15,582 files ending in the extention of   .cpy.  =
On
> 12/25 between 9:19pm and 9:39pm there are 2,605 files most 1,249kb =
each in
> size for a total of 3.03GB space taken for that 20 minute period =
alone. What
> is a .cpy file and can they be safely deleted?
>
> Philippe Beaulieu [log in to unmask]

  Is there any chance you were installing something at about that
time -- like, for instance, an OS service pack and selected the
option to "save information in order to be able to uninstall this"?

  (I recently was asked to look at a friend's machine to determine
why it was running into various problems.  On a 10GB drive, their
c:\temp folder contained about 6GB, including about four copies of
installation files from aborted/failed attempts to install a large
application....)

Dave Gillett

Date:    Mon, 31 Dec 2001 18:38:33 EST
From:    Philippe J Beaulieu <[log in to unmask]>

Thank you to everyone that made the effort to help me. What I ended up
finding was that my c:\_Restore\temp folder contained over 15,582 *.cpy
files. 2640  for almost 3.5GB of space from Christmas day alone. A =
microsoft
knowledge document led me through the steps to safely remove all those =
files
returning my computer hard drive to normal
Philippe Beaulieu [log in to unmask]

Date:    Tue, 1 Jan 2002 21:08:19 EST
From:    Philippe J Beaulieu <[log in to unmask]>

In a message dated 1/1/2002 6:16:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> .  They are in C:\Restore\Archive\FS5.CAB.  The files are A0001286.cpy,
> A0001294.cpy and A0001303.cpy.

Set your windows explorer to show hidden files, then go to control
panel/system/performance click file system then troubleshoot. click to
disable system restore, click apply, then click to clear the disable system
restore, click apply then ok,  you will be prompted to reboot, do so and the
system will purge all .cpy files from your computer. CAUTION- this will
delete all previous restore points from your computer but you can start
setting new ones as needed. microsoft knowledge base has the article I quoted
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q263455
Philippe Beaulieu  [log in to unmask]

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml