Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 May 2004 15:55:05 -0700
I have been using CDeX to RIP audio CDs, but have run into a problem since I
replaced my Plextor CDRW with a DVD-RW drive. The DVD drive has problems
reading many audio CDs and jitter errors appear. I installed an old Toshiba
XM-6002B CDROM drive and tried to RIP with it. That solved the jitter
problems, but now it takes 2 minutes to RIP every minute of track! Playing
with the drive settings does not seem to help very much.

Trying other software, I found that some of them RIP fine with the DVD, but
they don't seem to test for jitter errors the way CDeX does. The interfaces
on many shareware programs were very poor compared to that of CDeX. Another
freeware called CD'n'Go! seems to RIP fine with the DVD, and is also slow
with the Toshiba - but again, I am not sure about the jitter possibly being
there with the DVD drive. The reason I am suspicious is that I had problems
playing some CDs in the DVD drive when using Microsoft Media Player - no
Ripping involved!

Any suggestions for freeware or good shareware products. Or are there any
hints as to the Toshiba being so sloooow? I could solve the problem by
sticking my Plextor drive back into my box (which I am doing now anyway),
but this "problem" has my curiosity piqued - I want to get to the bottom of
this behavior is I can. Any help in solving this would be appreciated. Note
that I already have a hardware solution, I am just wanting to find out why
these drives are behaving the way they are, and that the software seems to
need more tweaking.

Am I missing any good Ripping software?

Thank you.

Peter