Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 11:37:28 +1300
Of late, I've seen quite a bit of negative commentary about the potential
perils of using file sharing programs, and I can't help wondering just how
much of the 'doomsay' is based on hearsay.

The internet is a marvellous tool for acquiring and disseminating useful and
genuine information, but it's also a ready-made launch pad for rumour,
innuendo and intentional propaganda circulated by parties who aim to prevent
the use of certain software.

Spurious information abounds, the jdbgmgr.exe virus hoax being a typical
example. Humans have an infinite capacity to accept dubious advice as gospel
truth, simply because it sounds 'right'.

After many years of downloading a wide range of data from unfamiliar sites,
I haven't picked up more than a dozen or so viruses.

Heck, I get a more than that in a month from my emails.

My suggestion, when offered cautionary advice on ANY topic, is to consider
whether or not the advisor has personal knowledge of the subject.

And, like the folk who offer opinions about operating systems they don't use
themselves, it's amazing how many don't have this knowledge.

FWIW, my personal experience with file sharing programs, is that KazaA Lite
is very easy to install, configure and use, with a simple, user-friendly
GUI.

Naturally, it pays to have an effective antivirus program, and a firewall is
probably useful, but we need those applications just to participate in this
forum.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

From: "Tom Watson" Subject: Re: [PCSOFT] File Sharing Program

> Wow, that sounds extremely ominous! <smile>
>
> I've been file sharing for a long time, used most of the programmes
> available for this,nd have never had any trouble. That's not to say that
> aren't caveats. I have had a few downloads contain viruses, but as with
all
> files from the Internet I scan them. I have had more trouble from
> installing shareware / freeware than from file sharing file.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml