Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 12:42:20 -0400
Hi Hulda;

Yes, your results with the tests on Gibson's site will be different with
satellite internet access. Someone far more knowledgeable than me explained
that they use  more caching and other methods due to the complexity of the
system and the high latency. I confirmed that I am still well firewalled
(hardware and software) by using my dial-up connection (while I still had
it) which showed total stealth and then using the satellite access which
showed the major ports (http, https, netbois, msft ds) stealth but the rest
being open. This was confirmed to be normal by the tech support of Xplornet
(the Canadian version of the Wildblue system). Since that initial testing I
have used a number of different firewalls, routers and operating systems
(XP, 98SE, Vista) with the same results. I would confirm with your tech
support that your results are also typical.

I too have problems with streaming video during peak usage times, but it
works well (usually) at other times. Downloads can often be interrupted and
unable to start again which was quite bothersome until I started using Free
Download Manager. Surfing is quite slow for me and I would often get "Page
Not Found" errors until late this summer when I assume they made some
changes to the system. After that surfing was even slower, but much more
reliable. I have the slowest version of the system available here (512 k
download) but I have great doubts it would be much better with faster
access. This system has never performed as advertised, even after several
service calls, the replacement of both the modem and tria, and several calls
to tech support which ended in them blaming my computer. Since in the time I
have had this ISP I have had six different computers (built from components
new and used, as well as a new laptop) three operating systems, three
different routers (also tested without a router for many hours) and at least
twenty reinstalls of operating systems, I highly doubt my hardware is to
blame.

I plan to move to this system, which I have installed for family members,
when it becomes available in my area;

https://www.highspeedunplugged.sympatico.ca/CustomerPreSales/Landing/Home.aspx

Sorry, I don't have an American equivalent for you.

Until then I'll continue with what I have, but I won't like it. However, it
could be worse; it could be dial-up. Good luck.

Bill