Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:15:41 -0400
Original Message --
From: "Cliff Sees" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2007 1:22 PM
Subject: [PCSOFT] Remove old program

Recently, I let a friend share my computer. He installed Quicken. We've since parted ways, and I've moved to another state, and I have no way (or desire) to contact him. I'd like to uninstall Quicken, but when I try, it asks for the serial number, as if it's actually installing from scratch. Obviously, I don't have this information.
I also tried Eraser to wipe the program altogether, but that failed; Access Denied. The program doesn't take up a lot of space, but I have an old 30GB hard drive, so every byte is needed. I don't want to wipe the whole hard drive, though, just to delete this one program (that I can't use anyway). I'm running XP.
How can I get rid of this waste?
Cliff Sees
Euless, TX

$$$

Howdy Cliff,

Don't know what you have left of the Quicken installation on your hard drive at this point in time, but there is a good chance you'll be able to remove Quicken and Quicken 'debris' using two and perhaps all of the following three tools.

BTW, I'd personally suggest you not try to do a manual clean up of the registry unless you consider yourself quite comfortable in there, which I assume you are not given that you posted to PCSOFT for help in resolving this issue.

Before beginning to implement the Quicken uninstall routines that follow and since you're running under Windows XP, be sure to create a System Restore Point that you can fall back on in the unlikely event that the uninstall procedures to be described make things worse and not better. FWIW, I always like to create a new Restore Point after a fresh reboot before performing minor or major surgery on my XP installation.

The above said, unclean uninstalls of Quicken software must be common because the vendor offers a couple tools to help complete the job when the normal uninstall routine using Windows' uninstaller doesn't quite cut it. Micosoft offers a tool as well because sometimes their software doesn't uninstall cleanly either.

To begin go to the Quicken web page shown immediately below and then read and become familiar with the instructions provided.

Using the QcleanUI tool to remove residual Quicken installation components
https://quicken.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/quicken.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4108

If Quicken was not completely removed using the Microsoft Add or Remove Programs utility, you can use the QcleanUI tool to remove any residual Quicken installation files from your computer. QcleanUI will remove the Quicken program files and Windows registry entries for Quicken.

Your Quicken data file will not be removed. If you are concerned about your data, create a backup data file before proceeding with these steps:

   1. Exit Quicken if it is running.
   2. Uninstall Quicken using the Microsoft Add or Remove Programs utility.

Note: It is important to attempt to uninstall Quicken using the Microsoft Add or Remove Programs utility before using the QcleanUI tool to remove any residual Quicken installation files.

   3. Click the QcleanUI.exe link below and save the file to a folder on your computer.
   4. Click the MSIzap.exe link below and save the file to the same folder used in step 2.
   5. Double-click the QcleanUI.exe file on your computer to run it.
   6. Select the version of Quicken you want to uninstall from the drop down menu.  If you do not know which version you need to uninstall, click Clean all versions to remove Quicken.
   7. Click the Clean button.
   8. Click Quit. The Quit button will not be active until QcleanUI has completed removing Quicken from your computer. The removal process may take several minutes.

If QcleanUI does not completely remove Quicken from you computer, you can also try using the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility available on the Microsoft support site.

Download QcleanUI Tool
https://quicken.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/quicken.cfg/php/enduser/fattach_get.php?p_sid=SPQA2MGi&p_accessibility=0&p_tbl=9&p_id=4108&p_created=1139441208&p_olh=0

Download MSIzap.exe
https://quicken.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/quicken.cfg/php/enduser/fattach_get.php?p_sid=SPQA2MGi&p_accessibility=0&p_tbl=9&p_id=4108&p_created=1139851689&p_olh=0

Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package
http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

The instructions shown above and the information and tools referenced in the links I've provided should help put an end to your Quicken woes and leave you sleeping peacefully at night. `~ )

Since you mentioned that you needed but didn't have access to the Quicken software's serial registration number (you could probably find it in the registry if you searched, but once again I don't recommend going that route unless you feel totally at ease poking around in the hives...), you may have to do what Peter Shkabara suggested in an earlier response to your post which is manually delete all Quicken folders on your hard drive and then follow the Quicken residual components uninstall routines described and referenced above.

Please note that some of Quicken's folders may be hidden, so be sure to included 'hidden' and 'system files' when using XP's search to be sure you've located  them all. When located, confirm that the folders belong to Quicken and Quicken alone and then delete them.

Since I don't know what your earlier stab at using 'Eraser' to rid your of the Quicken installation accomplished (i.e., left the installation untouched or mangled), just go slowly and logically, one step at a time, and I believe you'll be successful in its' complete removal.

Good luck, my friend.  I am,

Very truly yours.
Jeffrey Ottie

eom