Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
GeorgeMary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 06:13:46 -0700
I think you're right about the *.pwl, but if you have access to a machine
and are sophisticated enough you can probably get into any machine.  Only
casual, unsophisticated users will be detered by this.  When Windows starts
up and goes to the screensaver screen that requires a password, you can
restart and go to DOS and get around it(and probably defeat it in more
ways).  This has stopped casual usage in a small office with Win9x, though
and may work in the case of caregivers who specialize in something else.
Plus it is free.
Date:    Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:04:43 +1300
From:    Ian <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: windows logon

Wouldn't this screensaver password be found, and therefore be deletable,
when anyone does a search for *.pwl?

(Which is what I always do when confronted with a W95 or W98 password
request I can't comply with).

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

From: "GeorgeMary" Subject: Re: [PCSOFT] windows logon

> This isn't a real secure method, but without restarting the machine forces
> someone to know a password.   Make a screen saver, blank or otherwise, and
> assign a password.  You can have the screensaver start when windows starts
> by putting it in the Startup folder.  Look for your screensaver with a scr
> extension.  HTH

George&Mary Skokan ([log in to unmask])