Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 19:41:32 -0800
On  3 Dec 98 at 18:50, James McGuire wrote:

> I'm not sure if PC Soft is the right place to post this question, but,
> here goes:
>
> Can someone explain to me the difference between an IP and a Static IP.

  When I dial into my ISP, the machine that accepts my account name
and password updates local routing information so that traffic for my
assigned IP address will get sent down the phone line to me.  This is
a "static IP address" -- that address always maps to my machine when
I'm on, and to no-one else's when I'm not.

  When my friend dials into her ISP, the machine that accepts her
account name and password tells her PC the IP address that is already
mapped to the phone line she happened to get connected on for this
session.  This is a "dynamic IP address"; when she dials back
tomorrow, she may get a different one for that session.

  Note that with a static IP address, there can only be one machine
logged into my account at any given moment.

David G

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>