Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 18:57:10 -0800
I am sure you will get more responses from other users of Linux on this
list. My input will cover the basics rather than recommendations.

UNIX (correctly spelled in all upper case) was developed at Bell Labs of
AT&T. For a long time it was only available to universities (notably UC
Berkeley). UNIX compatible operating systems were also developed. The most
famous is probably Linux, developed by Linus Torvalds as a graduate project.
Other UNIX "clones" are also available, such as one I like called Free BSD
(roots at UC Berkeley). Knoppix is, I believe, another variant. I am not
sure if Knoppix is based on Linux or not. Others will be sure to clear this
up.

Any of these variations of UNIX are based on a text core. That means that
the graphic interface just makes it easier to control the operating system.
This is similar to the original Windows. Windows NT and its derivatives of
Windows 2000 and XP are based on a graphic engine and only provide a text
interface console. I feel that UNIX in any of the incarnations is much more
robust as an operating system, and not as complex in terms of overhead code
as is Windows XP. However, I must admit that I am a Windows XP user (have
been using NT since 1992) mostly because of the available applications
software.

Sometimes, I come close to making the switch, and I just might do so in the
near future! For a server machine, I have no trouble choosing Free BSD (or
Linux) over a Windows server. Much easier to maintain and more stable. For a
user desktop, it is a different story. Consider what applications are
important to you, then decide if UNIX/Linux is for you.

Peter
The NoSpin Group

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml