Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 11:30:26 -0700
Not much you can do. Win NT4, 2000, are not easy to fix, when things go
wrong. You can start up the setup process, and when you get to the install
screen, choose Repair rather then Install. Then you can manually pick what
to fix, or let Windows automatically fix everything.You will need your
Emergency Disk to verify administrative privileges. On a new install, that
had not been patched, this might of worked. But using the automated process
has always made things worse for me.

This is particularly true if you are constantly applying updates, service
packs, hotfixes and security patches. Which of course, you should be doing.
Any attempt to repair the OS will screw all these files up, because it
brings things back to how things were when you first installed...which is
useless on a fully patched install. XP has better restoration and self
fixing  utilities but at the cost of a lot of hard drive space.  All of
these reasons make backups very important in Windows 2000.

I rely on Windows 2000 Server as the heart of my system.  Every weekend I
check for, and install updates,.. then I run a custom script that does
a  full virus scan, checks all the hard drives for errors, defrags all the
hard drives, image all the partitions, clean the registry, and backup the
important data. I usually run this overnight, and then the next day the
first thing I do is use Drive Image to image the operating system
partition.  I usually store two of these backups on my Backup hard
drive.This means that if everything goes to hell, I can always go back one
or two weeks, simply by restoring a image file.

Sounds like a lot of hassle, but when things go wrong I can be back up and
running like nothing happened in 20 minutes.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group

>One of my systems at work -- which, believe it or not, was never
>outfitted with virus software (not my choice) -- picked up a virus
>yesterday. Sometime during fixing it, my Windows 2000 install became
>damaged. Explorer.exe would crash on every bootup and, more often
>than not, the system would blue screen (IRQL_BLAH_BLAH) and reboot.
>None of these things helped. Since it was a plain-vanilla
>workstation, it was nothing to then reformat and reinstall.
>
>What else should I have done?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml