Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 14:02:31 -0800
On 16 Sep 98 at 13:21, Rick Glazier wrote:

> Is it GENERALLY "OK" to put in windows\system a NEWER DLL with the
> same name, and HIGHER internal version number?

  The use of the same name constitutes an assertion by the developer
-- which might not be true -- that the new version will work as a
replacement for the old.  When this is not intended to be true, the
name will change, often by appending "32" or "V2" to the filename.

> (And doesn't a good install program check that and do it
> for you?)

  True -- but I bet most developers are using the version of
InstallShield that comes free with VC++ (and VB?).  I seem to recall
that this was one of the areas where its previous version gave me
grief under 3.1.

  First of all, the file has to contain version information.  I know
it took some effort to get some of our engineers to bother with that.
  Then there are the Microsoft APIs for version comparison, which are
rather byzantine.
  Then the instyallation code has to use those APIs correctly....

David G

                                  -----
        **Need help with PCSOFT mailing list? Send an Email to:**