Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:16:54 -0800
On 13 Oct 98 at 2:34, Ronnie Tumbokon wrote:

> I'm thinking of upgrading my Pentium 166MMx to a Pentium II system
> by changing the motherboard and the CPU.
>
> Will this thrash my Win 98 registry since I now have new hardware,
> or will my registry be automatically updated?

  Windows 9x is generally pretty good about detecting new hardware,
and the absence of old.  About the only area where this will even be
an issue is the onboard IDE controller chipset, especially if you've
installed bus-mastering drivers specific to your old motherboard.

  If you want to play it safest, boot into safe mode and run regedit.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and delete the "Enum" key at this
level.  That will force Windows to re-detect all of your hardware
when you reboot.

  [By the way, I think the verb you want is "trash", as in
"cover/fill with/make into garbage".  While you might actually mean
"thrash" as in "beat to a bloody pulp", "thrash" is more commonly
used with computers to refer to a situation where "there is a whole
lot of activity but not much progress".  The classic scenario is
where main RAM is too small to hold the working sets of all the
current tasks, so the system spends more time swapping to/from disk
than executing application code.  Nothing to do with your
question....]

David G

                                  -----