Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 23:48:33 -0600
From: "William Closure" :Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 9:18 PM
Subject: [PCSOFT] more glitches to fix

> OK, I did as suggested and disabled McAfee VirusScan.  (Actually, I did it
> one better, and blasted the thing away.)  Now, the computer doesn't get hung
> up on start up.  Ah, progress!
>
> Now, I want to deal with it getting hung up on shut down.  I have a 2 year
> old HP 8380, running Windows 98.  Following normal shut down, it turns the
> whole computer off.  For quite some time, I have been experiencing various
> problems shutting down, with no particular pattern.  In fact, on rare
> occasions, it totally surprises me, and it operates normally.  At various
> times:
>
> -  I get one of the program not responding boxes for "Indexing" or something
> like that (even though I have never seen something like that when I do
> alt-cont-del to see what's running), or
> -  I get to the Windows shutting down screen and it just stays there (the
> liar!) or
> -  I get a blank screen.
>
> Thoughts, comments, suggestions, donations?
>
> William Closure

William,

Both Win98 and Win98SE have had problems with shutdown.  There are different fixes depending on the OS you are running.

1.  For Win98 you can try disabling Fast Shutdown.  You can find a MS KB article here on fast shutdown:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q187/6/07.asp

To disable Fast shutdown click Start=>Run, type "msconfig" without the quotes in the box and click OK.  Select advanced, remove the check from the "Disable fast shutdown" box, click "OK", click "OK" again and restart your computer when prompted to do so.

2.  If this doesn't work you can also check here as some implementations of ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) are not compatible with Win98's implementation of ACPI.
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q196/0/08.asp

3.  Norton antivirus has been known to cause these kind of problems with Win98, they have patches on their web site. It is trying to scan the floppy for viruses on shutdown.

Go to the Auto Protect > Advanced > Check off the:
Scan floppy for boot viruses when shutting down Windows.

4.  You may have a problem with IRQ Steering if the BIOS is not fully compliant, this option may lead to machines not shutting down properly. even if 2 or more devices are not sharing an IRQ.  The IRQ steering allows several PCI devices to share the same interrupt request (IRQ).
To disable PCI bus IRQ Steering:

START => SETTINGS => CONTROL PANEL => SYSTEM
On the Device Manager tab => System Devices
PCI Bus => CLEAR the Use IRQ Steering check box on the IRQ Steering tab
OK => OK => restart the computer
After you restart the computer, attempt to shut down the computer again.

5.  Video Drivers are another cause of Win98's refusal to shutdown.  Make sure you have the most current driver for your Video Card.  To check to see if the video card is the problem, got to Start=> Run=> type "msconfig" without the quotes in the box   and click "OK".  Select the "Advanced Tab"  and check the box next to "VGA640x480x16", click "OK".  Restart the computer.  If the computer shuts down properly, check for newer drivers, or try reinstalling the old drivers as they may be corrupted.

6.  Other drivers located in msconfig can be disabled to check whether they are causing the problem one at a time. Open MSconfig and go to the "Startup" tab.  Uncheck one driver at a time and then restart the computer and shut it down to see if it will now shut down properly.  Continue this process until you locate the program causing the problem or there are no more programs to check.

Hope this helps

Mary Wolden

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml