Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Kelly Younger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 14:21:31 -0500
Loy Pressley wrote:

> Kelly Younger wrote:
>
> > Netscape 6.1 will not run any executable or script files without user
> > intervention. Files with .gif or .jpeg extensions will be displayed
> > inline.
>
> Are you saying that Netscape 6.1 will not run an executable file
> that is configured, as I've seen many virus infected files, as
> "filename.com,exe, or bat.jpg or gif"?  If the preview window
> automatically opens a .jpg or .gif file, how does it stop the
> enclosed executable file from running?
>
> > The secure newsgroups can be accessed from here
> > http://www.ufaq.org/.
>
> I've gone to this URL and am busily reading through 8,300+ message
> headers.  There is a great deal of good information there.

Exactly. Netscape will not run any executable or script. In 6.1, the
file will show up as an attachment in the upper right corner of the
message pane. If you click on it, it will ask you where you want to save
it to. You'll have to save it to disk and then go to the saved location
to run it. The 4.x series and earlier gave a "Possible Security problem"
box with the option to save it to disk or run it. In the 4.x and earlier
series, you had a choice to view attachments in line or not. I can't
find this option in 6.1. If you look in Edit|Preferences|Adanced|System,
you can see all the file types that Netscape will open. I don't know if
6.1 will open .pdf's (older versions would) and I haven't tested this.
I've heard rumors of theoretically being able to spread virii using
.pdf's. I'm not sure if it has actually been done. That would be a major
problem for graphics companies since most now work in .pdf.
--
Kelly Younger

Campbell's wants to give away 5 MILLION cans of soup to feed the hungry.
Help 'em do it.
http://www.chunky.com/click_for_cans.asp