Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 22:30:38 -0500
-----Original Message-----

On 23 Feb 99, at 10:55, David Gillett wrote:

> >   There's a warning circulating about punching codes into your phone
> > let someone else place long-distance calls on your number.  Granted
that
> > punching weird codes into your phone because some stranger asks you to
is
> > really stupid, ....
>
>  I go on to explain my doubts about the authenticity of the warning AS
> IT IS CIRCULATING.  Note that these doubts in no way alter or lessen my
> belief that you should not cooperate with such a request -- I only
> doubt that an organized campaign of scams on this basis justifies a
> pass-it-on-to-everyone-you-know red alert via email.  [If it did, we'd
> see it in broadcast and paper news coverage, which would reach those
> without net access.]

Actually it was in the news about 12-18 months ago.  When I first heard
about it, I laughed -- then I had a reputable source repeat it.  So I
called Bell Atlantic and they confirmed that it was NOT A HOAX and that it
not only CAN happen but that there was a genuine scam campaign in
progress.
The first lady I talked with had no idea what I was talking about, but her
supervisor did.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcsoft.html