Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 11:23:57 -0400
Hi Regina;

    I would suggest that it depends somewhat on your computing habits and
your knowledge concerning malware. People who are more apt to go to
lesser-known web sites, download via Peer-to-Peer networks and open
attachments of a riskier nature (like one of my siblings) are far more
vulnerable than those who do none of the above (like my mother). However,
from what you have stated you are following the minimum standards and should
be very well protected.

    The only issue you don't address is whether you have XP updated and how
you keep it so. Automatic Updates are most suitable for those of lesser
computer knowledge, while others might want to wait to see how the updates
fare. The setting I use informs me about available updates, but gives me the
option of when to install them. I usually wait for my Windows Secrets
newsletter before deciding, but that, in my opinion, is not suited for the
typical user and I would suggest that Automatic should be the standard for
most.

    Updates for program such as Adobe Acrobat Reader, Java, Shockwave,
Firefox, Office, etc. are also usually very important. Many of those
programs have automatic updating (running in the background) that will
advise you when updates are available. You could check the websites of those
programs you have installed to determine what you should do to ensure you
have the latest security updates.

    You can test the effectiveness of Zonealarm or any firewall by going to
Steve Gibson's site here;

www.grc.com

and running Shield's Up. (Click on the link, click on Shield's Up, and then
scroll down the next page to find it again.) He also provides a great deal
of information and other security tips.

    If you are very concerned about the security of your computer, you could
also consider adding a hardware firewall in the form of a router (wireless
or wired). This is not typically a necessity, but if you leave your computer
on 24/7 and have sensitive data on your computer, it would be a reasonable
precaution to take.

    Also keep in mind that if you do have sensitive data to protect, that
you are liable to those who may be harmed if that data is ever stolen. I
have a friend who routinely has data of a highly personal nature that she
accesses via the internet as well as places on her computer. She had been
following minimal safety standards, but I had thought it best that she
install a router to "cover all bases." A few months later the company she
works for insisted on it.

    Also, if you do buy a wireless router be prepared for more security
issues, unless you turn the wireless signal off. Perhaps the stuff of a
separate thread. Good luck.

Bill