Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 12:22:06 +0100
On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]> wrote
>Subject: Re: Installing Office SR2

>>Downloaded and installed the first SR#1 when it came out last year <snip>
>>Now SR#2 won't install <snip>
>>The SR2 patch will only operate when you have all the Office 97 apps
>>upgraded to at least SR1. <snip>
>>(Got) SR#1 again,  ran the file and it also chose to also not install
>>'cause I had already upgraded and there was no need!
>
> I would wait for more "votes" on this issue, but I think you
>need to uninstall (in Office maintenance mode) Office and all
>its parts. Then reinstall Office, sp1, then sp2. <snip>

The Knowledge Base article to which Vince O'Connor refers,
Q192816 "SR-2 Patch Fails Even Though SR-1 Has Been Installed"
explains the cause of Matt Rosen's problem and suggests a cure.

I've sent Matt a copy but it's 13K so I won't post it to the list.
Anyone who needs it can get a copy by sending an email to
[log in to unmask] with subject Q192816 and an empty body.

To summarise, this is the key part of Matt's error message...

   Text                             What Does it Mean?

   Word97 is Office 97 base.        Winword.exe version is incorrect

This is the version checking...

                  Minimum          Minimum
   File Name      SR-1 Version*    Size in Bytes*

   Winword.exe    8.0              5,324,560

Here is the summary of the cure...

 - Search for and delete duplicate program files
 - Delete files whose versions are incorrect
 - Verify the Mso97.dll key in your registry
 - Reinstall Microsoft Office 97 SR-1
 - Rerun the SR-2 Patch

...and depending which SR-1 patch it was...

 - If you originally installed Microsoft Office 97 and then ran the SR-1
   Patch, you will need to reinstall Microsoft Office 97, and then rerun
   the SR-1 Patch.

 - If you originally installed the Microsoft Office 97 SR-1 Enterprise
   Update, simply reinstall.

Matt may be able to get by with less work,
since it is only Winword that is incorrect.

I suggest he should try:
* search for duplicates and delete (or rename) any old versions
  in case SR-2 is detecting a duplicate or fallback backup copy;
* if the remaining Winword is too old, upgrade only Winword to SR-1
 (perhaps he can undo whatever has given him an older version than SR-1,
  or extract files from the upgrade);
* when the Winword version is correct, re-apply SR-2.

Otherwise, it's the full Office 97 install and two upgrades :-(

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~len/ ICQ:10120933

                                  -----
        **Need help with PCSOFT mailing list? Send an Email to:**