Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:46:28 -0500
I think you (or something?) tried to copy all the files on the game CD
to the Burner CD drive by dragging and dropping them on the CD
drive Icon in Explorer. (Or some function that would equal or
approximate that.)

Important: Do the following using the same USER you had opened
when you had the problem. (This assumes there might be more than
one user. The storage location changes for different users...)

You can test my theory (the easiest) by putting a blank floppy in your
floppy drive.  Take the disks out of ALL CD drives.
Copy a file onto it from "somewhere". (Any file that fits...)
Open Explorer and drag the file from the floppy to the Burner CD
drive Icon in Explorer. If you have more than one CD-ROM or
Burning drive, you might have to see which is the correct drive
for this. You can have only one burner set as the default Burner
for this operation in WinXP.

You should get the pop-up balloon message you got last time.
Click on the inside of that balloon, (not the "X" in the corner).

If those are the files you saw before, they are full copies that
have been stored in the "waiting to be burned" directory in
the user profile you are currently running under...

You can delete all these files by clicking on the "delete temporary
files" in the "Writing Tasks" section on the left hand side.

You can do all the above easier next time. Make sure there is no
disk in ANY burner drive (for safety, to be sure you are not doing
"other things" with the CD burner with different types software
and/or different CD filesystems).
Then right click on the "default" Burner drive in Explorer. There
might be a menu selection for "deleting temporary files. (If there
are no temporary files it will be missing...)
Delete the files from here if you want...

As far as uninstalling the "unknown" game, I would (properly), and
then look around the hard drive to see if it is gone. If not, and the
uninstall has custom options I'd use them and select the parts to
uninstall. (It might be easy to forget to select/highlight the items in
a custom un-install if they are not selected/highlighted by default...
Then re-install it...
As long as an install was done to the default location picked by
the program itself, sometimes an uninstall problem can be fixed
be a re-install and then un-install...
Then if you want the program, re-install again...
Side note: When some program installations get trashed, a
special "cleaner" from the author is needed.
(MS Office and Norton come to mind...)

Yes, WinXP "can" be set-up to use NTFS.  (Should be, except
when another "extra" OS limits what you can do to a drive because
of limitations having nothing to do with XP...)
Most normal programs don't care too much what filesystem they
are stored on as long as the OS can read that filesystem and the
program (or game) can talk to and understand the OS and meet
its requirements, etc...
(Exceptions to this are utilities that try to use the filesystem directly
and are not themselves aware of NTFS and/or the changed
requirements.)

It helps a program to install if it is aware of the new XP requirements
used when installing on WinXP, such as multiple users, etc. and some
other "technical" things.

As far as the "un-named" small no-cd program, see if it is rated for
install on XP, and try to get help from the authors.

                                                       Rick Glazier

(I really am going to quit procrastinating, next week sometime.)
From: "Al Thompson" <[log in to unmask]>

> Please bear with me - this is a long post with somewhat strange problems (to me anyway).
>
> I've spent less than half a day using Win XP, which so far, seems very frustrating.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml